Hmmmm... So, not a whole lot has been going on lately. I've been getting a lot more hours at work (Del Taco). That's good, I suppose. I'll be happy on Pay Day.
I've been trying to learn Spanish. I was told straight-up that if I didn't speak Spanish that there was no chance of my being promoted or getting a raise.
Would I have this problem if I didn't live/work in Los Angeles?
Probably not.
But, I do. So I guess I've gotta deal with it.
This isn't just an issue with Del Taco. In the past, a few places have refused to hire me because I didn't speak Spanish.
It's very difficult. In the past, people have told me that it's "such an easy language," but I'm having a lot of trouble with it. Necesito ayuda! I've been trying to learn on my own with books and audio CDs and such. And, on a side note, did you know that the Merriam-Webster's Spanish-English Dictionary doesn't have the Spanish translation for the word "onion" (among other things)? That's something that I need to know to communicate with the cooks and Spanish-speaking customers at Del Taco. There's a great lack of food words in my books! Very frustrating.
The sad thing is, I actually kinda like learning new languages and writing. I loved learning IPA and Masonic code and such... But Spanish feels like it's being forced on me and that makes me a bit resentful. I actually do want to learn it, mainly to better understand my future in-laws (who're Mexican), but I'd like to learn it in a fun way and at my own pace. Not because, if I don't learn it, I won't be able to advance my "career."
Oh well.
If anyone has any tips on how to make it a bit easier for me to learn, please let me know.
In other news, Ramiro and I went to the Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum in Hollywood the other day and it was fantastic. The most fun that I've had at a museum in years!
That's all for now.
--Lauren*
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"cebolla"
ReplyDeleteI remember that from McDonalds...when I had to learn Spanish. ;-P
Haha. Thanks, Stephen.
ReplyDelete1. Start listening to Spanish radio.
ReplyDelete2. Start watching Spanish TV (my local cable's offering is riddled with it)
3. Try to find a spanish food podcast.
You won't understand it all. You won't learn it by osmosis. But it will get you listening and possibly interested. First you'll start picking out words you understand, then syntax. It's immersion, and it's fun :)