I know I just made an entry yesterday, but I wanted to make another one to let you all know how the potato harvest went!
We emerged triumphant:
Ramiro was triumphant too but a.) he was the one taking the pictures and, b.) he didn't want me posting any sweaty/dirty pics of him. ;POur grand total was 56 potatoes! That we could find at least. (and not counting the one we ate the other day). Here's a pic of our pile early on:

We had a pretty wide variety of sizes. Some of the potatoes were full grown and some were itty-bitty. We replanted the smallest ones.As we were digging, this lil guy surprised us:
A potato bug!! :D I guess that makes sense though, right?? There were a couple of gross/decomposing potatoes in the soil that he must have thought were a tasty treat.This guy didn't bother us. We continued digging long after we found the potato bug, an earwig, several pill bugs, and a centipede. What finally made us stop digging was when we ran into a nest of...something. BLEH!! We still don't know exactly what it was we saw. They weren't maggots or grubs... They almost looked like white-colored fleas or something. Anyway, that's when we finally went "gah" and decided to stop digging. We're sure there are more potatoes down there, but it just wasn't worth it to us.
Ziggy, who loves to dig, was especially interested in our adventures today. She kept trying to steal the smaller potatoes to play with (like balls) when we weren't looking. She had a lot of fun today:





And that's what happened with the potato harvest.Until next time...
--Lauren*
http://littlezotz.webs.com
PS: Some of you also asked about the loquat tree that we replanted. Here it is:
The End.
That is the nastiest bug ever. I'll never eat a potato again.
ReplyDeleteI love the triumphant, sweaty picture of you :) I bet those would make some mean mashed potatoes...
ReplyDelete@Shaitani but that's what gives the potatoes flavor :o