Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Beef Ole

Okay, so, I made dinner tonight for Ramiro and my family-in-law [Ramiro Sr. (father-in-law), Martha (mother-in-law), and Sarahe (sister-in-law)] and it turned out really well! I know! I'm shocked too. haha. But, anyway, I thought I'd post up the recipe in case there's anyone else out there that needs a very easy recipe that makes a good amount of food in a short amount of time. :)

This is a recipe that my dad (Robert Tharp) came up with when he first started living on his own. It's cheap and easy. It's called "Beef Ole" (or, as he calls it, "Beast Ole"...he's weird like that):

Ingredients

1.5 pounds hamburger
1 onion (chopped)
15 oz. tomato sauce
15 oz. kidney beans
1 can sliced black olives (optional!)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1.5 cups cottage cheese
1 egg
0.5 pounds jack cheese (shredded)
About 10 corn tortillas (cut in strips)

Instructions
  1. Cook burger & onions; then drain
  2. Stir in tomato sauce, beans, olives (optional), and seasonings.
  3. Simmer for 10-15 minutes
  4. Blend cottage cheese & egg in a bowl
  5. In a dish/pan (like for lasagna), layer: tortillas, then the meat sauce, then the cottage cheese mixture on top.
  6. Top the whole thing in jack cheese
  7. Bake for 25 minutes at 375 degrees
And that's it!

Hope that was helpful to someone out there.

Also, many thanks to all the cards, letters, e-mails, phone calls, texts, and money(!) you guys have been sending me to help ease Ramiro & me into our new life. It's all been VERY appreciated. You're the best! <3

--Lauren*

No comments:

Post a Comment